1/27/2016

January and Breeze Blocks

January has almost flown by in it's own dull way. I am very busy at the moment, and have less time for blogging than usual, but rather than pausing the blog, I'll just post whenever I can - and that's that. This is my space for sharing my paper craft craze, and also my drawer for keeping whatever I stumble upon, and somehow can't stop obsessing over.

Recently I have been dreaming about other times, places and warmer days on Instagram. I do that often, except when the place nauseates me with all it's peppy, staged wonderfulness, that has little to do with life as we know it. But who am I to criticize, I do that shit myself. I am in this dilemma most days of my life.
 
But Instagram is a great spot for curious souls to congregate and dream a bit, no matter the collective navel gazing. I like accounts with historic images, old architecture, and travel photography. And I have made a delightful and completely random discovery. 

I have fallen in love with breeze blocks, or as they are (apparently) more often called in US: cinder blocks. And what are they? Well, lightweight, ornamental building blocks, that allows the light and wind through decorative openings, one might say. 

They are an architectural detail I have often noted, and admired, and much seen in mid century modern architecture, but with roots in Arabic/Mauric and even Asian culture, at least the way I see it. And if you love geometric patterns, you must love breeze blocks.
 
When I was in Miami last year, I noted their practicality - the way they're adding a shading, cooling layer to a facade or in front of a patio or balcony. Apparently they are also a practical building material in areas with high winds or hurricanes.

I mostly love them for their abundant variety - when you get into the topic, it's unbelievable how many different kinds you have been able to get in the thirties to seventies, alone in the USA.

I've discovered that there are a lot of breeze-block heads out there: check Instagram or Pinterest!

My favorite spot - from where I have reposted all these images below - is @breezeblockhead, with images from all over the world, curated by the Australian architect Sam Marshall.

Se the bottom of the post for individual photo credits.


Images from top:
1: Brisbane by @endless_summer_studios, 2: by @kunstambauddr, 3: by @joegaldo, 4: Parker Hotel, Palm Springs by @meloccomoorearchitects, 5: Motel Mexicola by @concrete_swan, 6: by @breezeblockhead, 7: Barcelona by @stoptheroc, 8: by @jeremywilliam123, 9: by @rorythearchitect, 10: Palm Springs by @judeeeoliva.

No comments :

Post a Comment